Institute for Modern and Contemporary Culture
University of Westminster, UK
The Institute brings together creative, critical, and committed researchers and postgraduate students from around the world, and functions as a community for its students and staff, as well as a hub for both cross-School collaboration and external partnerships at Westminster.
The Institute draws on staff – academics, artists, curators, architects, authors, cultural consultants, and museum professionals – from across the University, who possess research expertise in a range of different transdisciplinary fields. We work with a number of international visiting research fellows, among them curators at major galleries in North America and Europe, as well as world-leading writers and artists, and further coordinate a series of collaborative projects with cultural institutions such as the Tate, National Portrait Gallery, Whitechapel Gallery, and the Smithsonian Institute, Washington DC.
The Institute also coordinates a number of MA programmes at Westminster, offers expert PhD supervision, publishes work at the highest level, in books with major scholarly publishers and in internationally recognised journals, and runs a yearly programme of conferences and public events. Please peruse this website for further details of our activities, as well as downloading a selection of research papers and online artworks by Institute staff.
- Anna Maria Guasch
- Research Centres
- An Archive
- Beyond the Archive: Bit-Mapping
- CARGO | Contemporary Art and the Archive Research Group
- Center for Image Science
- Department of Visual Cultures
- Institute for Modern and Contemporary Culture
- Media Art History
- PARC | Photography and the Archive Research Centre
- PhotoCLEC | Photographs, Colonial Legacy and Museums in Contemporary European Culture
- PHRC | Photographic History Research Centre
- Transcultural Visuality Learning Group
- Research Centres
- Call for Papers